Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bethany Home Road

On our recent visits to Tamara and Jack, I was curious about the history behind some of the interesting street names, including Bethany Home Road. Their ward bears the same name. I finally took some time to look into it.

The Bethany Home Road led to the Bethany Home near what is now 15th Avenue. The home was a tuberculosis sanitarium operated by a religious organization in the early 1900's.

We learn from the Bible Dictionary and the Guide to the Scriptures that Bethany is the village in which Jesus Christ stayed during the last week of his mortal life (Matthew 21:17; Mark 11:11). It is located two miles from Jerusalem, on the southeast slope of Mount Olivet–the home of Lazarus, Mary, and Martha (John 11:1–46; 12:1).

Here is a link to information about the origin of other Phoenix area street names: Name That Street

3 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that it is also the middle name of your *favorite* daughter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was something I was forgetting...I think that is why I wanted to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting link. It is interesting how streets get names.

    ReplyDelete