Sunday, March 1, 2009

What is fair?

In the process of raising five children--at home, in the workplace, at church and in the world--I have heard the occasional protest that something is not fair! I have come to realize that fairness is a matter of perspective. What seems fair to one group may not be to another. In fact, as we try to make things fair for everyone, we are bound to exclude someone.

I want everyone to be happy. So, somewhere along the way, I came up with the following response:

In the short run, nothing is fair. In the long run, everything is fair.

Think about it.

It helps to have faith in a higher power. I believe in a Savior who took upon himself not only all the sins of the world, but also all the pains, the sickness, the injustice and the inequity of the world--one who makes up the difference, who makes us whole.

My wife's mother recently said that she thought of me when she ran across the following:

all is fine in the end
if it isn't
then it isn't the end

We still try to make sure everyone is treated fairly, but it makes it easier when someone gets the short stick, knowing that in the end it will all work out.

10 comments:

  1. It seems to me you've said that saying almost my entire life, and it does help me recognize that in the end it will be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Welcome to the world of Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading more from you! I know you will be a fair reporter and be fairly interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great first post! Welcome to the world of blogging.

    A coworker of mine taught her students that fair is not necessarily that everyone gets an equal portion, but that everyone gets what they need.

    I am grateful to have a loving father who does his best to make children happy and to give them what they need. My relationship with my earthly father makes it easier for me to understand my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

    I too know that we have a Savior who redeems us from our faults and through Him we can be healed of our pains, weaknesses, and heartaches. We can be whole again.

    Thank you, Dad, for teaching me these lessons so that at the critical time, I could hearken, and return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Blogosphere! Great post.

    Tamara told me about your saying about fairness, and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm grumpy that Jocelyn's cooler than I am! It's not fair. She posted what I wanted to say.

    Well, I must say that I am glad for a good dad... and a good sister. And I'm really glad that we'll all be together in the long run.
    "We are a happy family. I love mother, she loves me..."

    Glad to have you be part of the blogomundo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the long run, I think Tamara will be cooler than I could ever hope to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girls! Give it up. You know Dad and I are way cooler than you (well San Diego I believe has cooler temperatures than either Riverside County or AZ!) And how fair is that? Oh, by the way, I love each of you fair and square!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jocelyn, thank you for inviting me into your family blog. I have loved the little bit that I have read. Your branch of the family is very strong and I admire all of the "Michael Robertson's", you are all so smart, strong, loving and hard working. You are all awesome! M:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad we are going to get to hear from you. From Mother I picked up "Equal is not necessarily fair." I do like you way of phrasing it better.

    BTW EACH of you, in your own individual and delightful ways, are VERY COOL!

    ReplyDelete